giving you peace of mind in and out of the courtroom

Sometimes, Life Events Make Changes Necessary

For many New York couples, the finalization of a divorce decree does not put the matter to rest completely. Particularly if a couple has children, child support and/or joint custody arrangements can continue the interaction between former spouses for some time to come.

In that time, circumstances can change. Children can go off to college or move out on their own; parents could be laid off or fired from their jobs. When these life events happen, it may be necessary to have post-decree modifications made for the benefit of one or both former spouses.

If Your Circumstances Have Changed, Don’t Sit Idly By

Oswego residents may be under the mistaken impression that the terms of their divorce are set in stone. However, the family court system has mechanisms in place to request changes when they are warranted. In most cases, the best way to do this is by working with an experienced, skilled family law attorney.

Aspects of the decree that could be changed might include the length or amount of alimony or child support. If there is a compelling reason to alter these arrangements, it may be possible. Doing so without a family law and divorce lawyer, however, could make the process unnecessarily complicated.

Call my office in Oswego to discuss your situation and what might be appropriate for your case. I can be reached toll free at 315-326-1369 or via my online contact form.