giving you peace of mind in and out of the courtroom

Fathers’ Rights Are Also Children’s Rights To A Father’s Involvement

Research has shown that children with involved fathers tend to have better overall outcomes in many areas of life. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule, but these research findings may strengthen a father’s position in a contested custody and visitation case. This is one example of how fathers’ rights come into the spotlight in many child-related areas of family law. Other family law matters that often touch on fathers’ rights include:

  • Paternity actions
  • Child support
  • Child custody
    • Legal custody
    • Physical custody
    • Shared or joint custody
  • Enforcement of access to child custody or visitation rights
  • Modifications to custody or support orders

When A Father Does Not Want To Be Simply A Visitor In His Children’s Lives

If you are an unmarried, separated or soon-to-be-divorced father concerned about your rights and your children’s well-being, you should consult with an empathetic family law attorney. I am lawyer Timothy J. Kirwan in Oswego with ample experience representing both fathers and mothers in child-related cases. I can advise you on practical ways you can strengthen your position in a family law case, such as by:

  • Documenting your involvement in your child’s education, health care and extracurricular activities
  • Exercising your rights to custody and visitation
  • Keeping extended family relationships on your side of the family active for your children, if relevant to your circumstances

I can help you through negotiations, mediation or family law court sessions with your parent-child relationship and your children’s best interests both highlighted.

Get Advice Early And Seek Advocacy When You Need It

You may simply have questions about how to assert your rights as a father, or you may need representation in a child custody, visitation and/or support case. I will do my best to help you understand your rights and push for the best outcomes for your child as well as for you. Call 315-326-1369 or send an email to schedule a consultation.

I advise New York clients on fathers’ rights, mothers’ rights and grandparents’ rights.