giving you peace of mind in and out of the courtroom

Child Custody And Visitation

As a parent, nothing is more important to you than your children, and when you and your children’s other parent cannot agree on custody, it is important to work with a lawyer like me, Tim Kirwan, who has the experience and skills to guide you through this emotional event.

My full-service law firm in Oswego, New York, Kirwan Law Office, handles all types of child custody disputes, including:

  • Custody disputes among married and unmarried couples
  • Adoption
  • Paternity
  • Grandparents’ rights

I Realize How Important Your Parenting Time Is To You

Here in New York, child custody is determined in two parts:

  • Physical custody refers to which parent the child will reside with more than 50 percent of the time. Unless the child will spend equal time residing with both parents, the other parent will have visitation rights.
  • Legal custody refers to which parent has the right to make lifestyle and welfare choices on behalf of the child, including medical care, education and religion. Barring any extenuating circumstances, you and your spouse will likely receive joint legal custody, meaning you will need to be able to work together at certain points.

While it benefits the children in the long run if parents can work together on a parenting time plan that determines how much time the children will spend with each for holidays and school breaks, I realize that for some parents the wounds are too deep. Thoughtful discussions are often too difficult to carry out during a contentious divorce. Sometimes one parent is unfit. For these and other reasons, some child custody cases end up being resolved before a judge.

I will be ready to go to court to assert and defend your rights as a parent if necessary. You can have peace of mind knowing that an attorney with decades of experience is behind you. You can leave your legal problems confidently in my hands, with more time to spend with your children while your case is underway.

Contact my law firm today at 315-326-1369 if you need experienced legal representation to help you resolve your child custody dispute. Even if you and the other parent are able to forge an amicable settlement, it is important to have an attorney examine it.